A teenage girl was left with painful facial burns after her iPhone charger suddenly exploded into flames on her bed while she drifted off to sleep.
Amie Hall, 17, had been nodding off when she became aware of a bright orange glow on the duvet next to her in the early hours of the morning.
She leapt out of bed as the flames quickly took hold, but suffered a nasty burn to her cheek as she tried to escape her bedroom at around 2am.
Former dental nurse Amie then called for her mum, who was able to extinguish the blaze before it spread to the other rooms of their house in Kitts Green, Birmingham.
Amie is now warning others about the dangers of charging their gadgets overnight, following the frightening incident.
She said: ‘I just want people to be aware and stay safe as this could have been a lot worse. It was extremely scary and I was left in complete shock.
‘I had just been lying down and I was falling asleep when I became aware of flashing orange colours next to me.
‘I ran out of my room and shouted to my mum, and luckily she managed to put out the fire without the need to call the fire brigade.’
‘The burn was very sore, but I know it could have been more serious. The flames just caught me as it burnt through my duvet.
‘My home is where my family is safe and if my house would have gone up in flames, it would have been the worst feeling.’
Amie also took to social media to share pictures of her nasty burns and to highlight the dangers of overnight phone charging.
She wrote: ‘Please be aware that this can happen to anyone and could be a lot worse. It’s dangerous. Please share.’
It’s not known whether the charger itself, consisting of an Apple wire and another brand’s plug, caused the fire or whether the socket at her home was faulty.
A spokeswoman for Apple said: ‘Apple takes customer safety very seriously, is in touch with the customer and looking into the matter.’