Considering it’s given us everything from the Tiger King himself, Joe Exotic to Bridgerton to what seems like a new true crime documentary every week, it might seem impossible to imagine a Netflix free world.
However, you might be ready to part ways with the streaming giant. Maybe you made a resolution to spend less time watching screens, or maybe you’re just looking to economise and there are more competitive options now, with the likes of Disney Plus – soon to expand its content with the launch of Star.
If you want to cancel your Netflix, how do you do it?
And is there a cancellation fee?
How to cancel Netflix subscription
It’s quite straightforward to cancel your Netflix account.
You must actively cancel your subscription as just deleting the app from your devices won’t stop you getting charged.
The following method explains how to use your computer or laptop to cancel.
- First, open your account and click the arrow at the top right corner of the page – it should be next to your profile name.
- After selecting this, click on the Account section.
- This will show an option saying Membership and Billing.
- Underneath this, will be a grey box with the option of cancelling your subscription.
- Once you’ve clicked this, you’ll have the option to select Finish Cancellation.
- This will confirm that you’ve cancelled and tell you how many days you have left of the month you’ve already paid for.
A follow-up email from Netflix will then usually tell you what day the on-demand content will no longer be available on your account – usually with the option of opting back in if you’ve changed your mind.
Can I cancel Netflix on my phone?
If you use a tablet or your phone to watch your Netflix, you can cancel your account using these. To do so:
- Open the official Netflix app, click on the tab which says More and select Account
- This should open a new web page on your device
- It will send you directly to your details, including billing information, and as you scroll down, there should be a Cancel Membership option.
- Click the button, and it’ll give you a summary of when your current subscription will end if you cancel.
- If you want to proceed, click Finish Cancellation and you’re all done.
Is it free to cancel Netflix?
It is completely free to cancel Netflix – there is no contractual obligation.
You pay by month, so if you decide to cancel, your account will stop billing you at the end of the one you’ve currently paid for.